Page 69 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
    A Grooby Photographer Princess! Ms Remy M's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1
    Given: 3/0
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicTraveler View Post
    Even the average person can fall into that state of mind in a do or die situation. You never know what to expect from a person once the rules no longer apply. Take away the laws for one day and see just how many people become murderers, rapists, and thieves. People you thought would never do such things, maybe even people you know and trust. These are the situations that truly define a person. And you can never know just who they are until they are in them.
    True enough, some people are just genuinely good spirited though. Not because of laws, but their moral compass, like 'Pig' in Lord of the Flies

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Even the average person can fall into that state of mind in a do or die situation. You never know what to expect from a person once the rules no longer apply. Take away the laws for one day and see just how many people become murderers, rapists, and thieves. People you thought would never do such things, maybe even people you know and trust. These are the situations that truly define a person. And you can never know just who they are until they are in them.
    There was a controversial research project conducted in either the late 70's or 80's where a group of students basically lived like this for a period of days. It was amazing to see the dramatic change in people. Lord of the flies indeed. I studied it in preparation for my masters dissertation/defense.

YOLO

Thumbs Up/Down
    I've never seen Lord of The Flies but I believe Battle Royale was based on that concept. I can't say laws are the exact reason I haven't gone on a killing spree just yet ( Yeah... yet... ) but even knowing what kind of person I am now doesn't allow me to see what kind of person I would be in a world like that.

I shall now place one more soul to rest.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I've never seen Lord of The Flies but I believe Battle Royale was based on that concept. I can't say laws are the exact reason I haven't gone on a killing spree just yet ( Yeah... yet... ) but even knowing what kind of person I am now doesn't allow me to see what kind of person I would be in a world like that.
    No you didn't just compare Lord of the Flies to Battle Royale. Let me say, I love Battle Royale and think it's a stupid awesome movie and was the first time I saw the girl whom would later play Lucy Lu's enforcer in Kill Bill. I would sooner compare Battle Royale to Running Man, before Lord of the Flies though.

Arbitrary rules can't truly define whether a person should live or die. Every life is precious, if it's not in self defense, I'm sorry but I just don't have the capacity to take someone's life. It just shouldn't be that easy, like in a video game or some other form of media. We aren't base animalistic creatures, we are human beings with higher functions and reasoning. Other wise you would just become the monster that you feared. We as humans, without our sentient prowess would have never survived as a species if we just rampaged around killing haphazardly. Even a tiger in a jungle kills only to feed or in self defense. There is always a balance to life. I'd go on further, but I'm finding it difficult not to delve into the more spiritual aspects of my reasoning, as I feel the conversation should stay in the realm of what we all know.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by raheme View Post
    remy, meaning is very subjective. Its like currency. Its only useful if we both agree so. What I value as meaningful and what you value as meaningful can be worlds apart. Who's right & who's wrong?
    There are instances where I can see your point, like your example of currency. However; some things are just instinctively known. A baby crying out doesn't need to explain to you it's wants. You simply pick the baby up. Someone speaking a foreign language can wave hello and you wave back. Someone handing some food out to you is clearly trying to break bread. A person in a desert with parched and cracked lips, needs water. Someone sleeping in the rain, needs shelter etc.

The media has desensitized us to not care about our fellow person. Society in general and corporate america in particular has fostered a reward mentality in us. If we don't get something out of what we do, we don't do it. We go to work because we want the reward of being able to buy the materialistic things we desire. We go to war because we want to expand our domestic business in the foreign countries and export their local resources. We pay our tithe because we want the reward of going to heaven. We rape our own lands because we want the cheap access to resources. If you look back to the Native Americans and even today's tribal peoples, heck even the Amish, you can see the reverence for all things. Again, there needs to be a balance to life and I'd go so far to say that the world as a whole would be way better off if we all lived in smaller tribal communities, opposed to how our current society is. In summation, if my choice was to live for myself alone and not do anything for those around me, well life wouldn't be worth living at all. I've been on a operating table and have flat-lined before, I've realized there is 'more' to life than just living. I'm always hearing people talk about the materialistic things they want and I can understand it to a point, it helps us not think about the monotony of life, but call me simple because I'm happy being loved and having someone to love, I give what I have profusely. Ok, I realized I've gone a bit off subject again, so I'll end here lol

Thumbs Up/Down

Another Zombie Apocalypse Question

Still want those other conversations going, but also wanted to stay on the topic of Zombie Apocalypse. I was recently playing online with friends CoD Black Ops Zombie Mode, and I posited this question to them, based on the Walking Dead zombie apocalypse.

You are walking past a car, foraging, not in any imminent danger at the moment, but of course the potential for a zombie horde around the corner is always possible. In this deserted town, there lies a crying baby in the car, do you leave it (it's not yours) or do you pick the baby up and take it with you?

(I will post my answer I gave them, and perhaps some of theirs after a few responses are posted here. We had some wildly varying views, with one person saying he'd reenact the scene from Feast 2, which you are sleeping on if you are a horror movie fan.)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Remy M View Post
    No you didn't just compare Lord of the Flies to Battle Royale. Let me say, I love Battle Royale and think it's a stupid awesome movie and was the first time I saw the girl whom would later play Lucy Lu's enforcer in Kill Bill. I would sooner compare Battle Royale to Running Man, before Lord of the Flies though.

Arbitrary rules can't truly define whether a person should live or die. Every life is precious, if it's not in self defense, I'm sorry but I just don't have the capacity to take someone's life. It just shouldn't be that easy, like in a video game or some other form of media. We aren't base animalistic creatures, we are human beings with higher functions and reasoning. Other wise you would just become the monster that you feared. We as humans, without our sentient prowess would have never survived as a species if we just rampaged around killing haphazardly. Even a tiger in a jungle kills only to feed or in self defense. There is always a balance to life. I'd go on further, but I'm finding it difficult not to delve into the more spiritual aspects of my reasoning, as I feel the conversation should stay in the realm of what we all know.
    I said that was the inspiration for the base concept... That's not a comparison. I didn't exactly care for that movie in any case. Preferred the comics much more.

Do you actually believe humans to be any better than the other animals on this planet? Honestly? You're talking about a species that seems to go out of it's way in an attempt to end itself and everything around it. People kill each other just by basis of being slightly different from one another, or even for little slips of paper with the faces of other dead people on it. Your talk of higher reasoning only serves to make them that much worse. Because all it means is that they're fully aware of what they're doing when they do it. Quite frankly humans are the worst pieces of shit on this entire planet. Lying, stealing and killing just for the hell of it. If humans were really as high as you'd like to believe the word genocide wouldn't even exist, because it would be a purely unthinkable concept. Yet several times through history it's come to pass.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Still want those other conversations going, but also wanted to stay on the topic of Zombie Apocalypse. I was recently playing online with friends CoD Black Ops Zombie Mode, and I posited this question to them, based on the Walking Dead zombie apocalypse.

You are walking past a car, foraging, not in any imminent danger at the moment, but of course the potential for a zombie horde around the corner is always possible. In this deserted town, there lies a crying baby in the car, do you leave it (it's not yours) or do you pick the baby up and take it with you?

(I will post my answer I gave them, and perhaps some of theirs after a few responses are posted here. We had some wildly varying views, with one person saying he'd reenact the scene from Feast 2, which you are sleeping on if you are a horror movie fan.)
    I have no idea what Feast 2 is. But in any case I'd take the baby along with me. No sense in leaving it there and giving zombies another bit of food to survive off of.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I have no idea what Feast 2 is. But in any case I'd take the baby along with me. No sense in leaving it there and giving zombies another bit of food to survive off of.
    The original Feast (not sure about the sequels) was a student project film executive produced and funded by Ben Affleck and company. It's a creature horror movie that harkens back to a time before slasher films became the norm. Buckets of blood, gore and awesome well crafted creatures with an ensemble cast. It went on to spawn two sequels.

Thanks for your input, do you think the zombies actually require the sustenance or would be just as fine with or without the baby snack?

Thumbs Up/Down
    The original Feast (not sure about the sequels) was a student project film executive produced and funded by Ben Affleck and company. It's a creature horror movie that harkens back to a time before slasher films became the norm. Buckets of blood, gore and awesome well crafted creatures with an ensemble cast. It went on to spawn two sequels.

Thanks for your input, do you think the zombies actually require the sustenance or would be just as fine with or without the baby snack?
    Well, if we're talking Walking Dead here then they do. As the zombies have been shown to decay to a point of being unable to move without eating. Even though they're still... undead... like... able to move... You get what I mean.