Thread: world cup party

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/4
    Given: 1/0

world cup party

I asked my buddy at work what he thought about team USA's chances at the World Cup. A typical American, his answer was "Uh, that's soccer isn't it ? I don't follow it."

But I like the "beautiful game". It's a bit too low scoring for my taste, but on the other hand when there is a score -- what passion and excitement !

Meanwhile, we Americans invent sports which only we play and then declare ourselves world champions at them. You know, like "football". And then don't see the irony.

I guess team USA is roughly average and in an a tough group.

I have a friend who flew to Brazil for the Cup and the accompanying party. Wish I could have gone. I bet the pussy is flowing !

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 21/13
    Given: 0/0

Smile

USA is in a very tough group with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana.... but if they can beat Ghana (who they play tonight) they may just qualify to the knockout round above Portugal.... As for winning it (and becoming genuine World Champions!) don't hold your breath lol... I'd like to see USA do well and progress though, as I want to see football/soccer grow there....

I love football, but I have to admit it's is a weird game in terms of controlling and moving the ball with your feet; it doesn't come natural to any child to use feet....if you kick a ball to any small child it wont kick the ball back to you... instead it will pick it up using their hands and throw it back, because it's much more natural to us to use our hands... and like you say, it can be a low-scoring sport... but there is intense passion!

As for this World Cup, it's difficult to look beyond Argentina, Brazil or Germany for the eventual winners.... but I'd love to see a less fancied country like Mexico, Colombia or Chile win it!!!

blue eyed devil

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/4
    Given: 1/0
    Yippee ! USA beats Ghana 2-1. I'm excited ! On to world dominance.

But there have been disturbing developments -- note this news feed I picked up from the Rolling Stones online sports pages :

"As of Tuesday morning, June 17, the World Cup has seen an incredible 43 goals in 14 matches, which some expert observers attribute to a loss of focus and a resulting porous defense. Players often seem to be sleepy during matches, and reports are surfacing of all-night parties and wild dissipation among the players and sports tourists alike. Billy Gerhouse of team USA explained, "What do you expect - it's Brazil, man ! Leave your morals at home, and party, party, party ! Now, ah, what was the question ? Ah man, fuck it. I fuckin' love it here !" And with that, Mr. Gerhouse wandered off into a Samba street party, disappearing into a mass of sweating bodies and writhing, groping limbs."