PDA

View Full Version : Lena Horne

TVSURFER
05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Most of you probably never heard of Lena Horne; a great black singer, actress of the forties, fifties, sixties. She was of mixed blood so that automatically throwed her her on the other side of the tracks in the entertainment world, however she was known for her beauty, grace, charm and talent.Everyone loved her so much. Fred Sanford was her biggest fan! Lena Horne died today at the age of 92. She will sorely missed and now she can top billing whereever she is: RIP Lena!
:cool:

carmencream
05-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Actually she died Sunday ,she was one of my favs and to live to 92 that's a blessing she will be missed by all that loved her

BlkMuscleTop
05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Very talented and beautiful woman, may she rest in peace having lived a long and prosperous life. Leaving us a collection of her talent.

R.I.P Miss Horne

TVSURFER
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Actually she died Sunday ,she was one of my favs and to live to 92 that's a blessing she will be missed by all that loved her

You're right, she did die Sunday. I had my mind on today when I typed this post! My bad!

DrDickenstein
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Go Miss Carmen....correct that Surfer dude!! lol

RIP Miss Horne. :(

TVSURFER
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Go Miss Carmen....correct that Surfer dude!! lol

RIP Miss Horne. :(
Yeah, it pays to be honest! Been around the block more than a few times: Honesty is the best policy!;)

bigdicki
05-11-2010, 01:29 AM
She was one of the first Black women to play to servicemen overseas. Because of seeing men who served their country made to sit at the back of the theater, she refused to play segregated audiences after that. And she was the first Black woman with a theater contract. Plus, I had a crush on her as a kid. :) She's gonna keep a smile on St. Peter's face with her voice and her beauty. ;)

nycguy
05-11-2010, 02:16 AM
A true American Legend. :(

DYNACORD
05-11-2010, 03:10 AM
Wow! I didn't hear a thing about her passing. She was excellent. Thanks for the info Surf.

ROC
05-11-2010, 04:25 AM
R.I.P. MS. HORNE....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37lMoZg_eQ

Ms Remy M
05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
She exhibited such talent, she will be missed, R.I.P.

WhereChyna
05-11-2010, 01:30 PM
R.I.P. MS. HORNE....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37lMoZg_eQ

I've seen many o' Sanford & Son eps but never knew Ms. Horne guest appeared! Classic! Thanks for clip, Roc!

I first remembered seeing her when I was 10 in The Wiz. I was like, "who's that 'white lady'"?!?! (lol) She was stunningly gorgeous and equally talented. But, more importantly a strong advocate for Human/Civil Rights.

They once had had her "black listed" for alledgedly being a communist sympathizer! Man, the struggles African-Americans had to endure back then (and to a degree, now!).

Ms. Horne, R.I.P. Your legacy will truly live on...

andwar
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Most of you probably never heard of Lena Horne; a great black singer, actress of the forties, fifties, sixties. She was of mixed blood so that automatically throwed her her on the other side of the tracks in the entertainment world, however she was known for her beauty, grace, charm and talent.Everyone loved her so much. Fred Sanford was her biggest fan! Lena Horne died today at the age of 92. She will sorely missed and now she can top billing whereever she is: RIP Lena!
:cool: I can remember as a child staying at my Grandparents home. They were huge Lena Horne Fans, especially my grandfather,for obvious reasons.What lil I do know about her,his that she helped break racial barriers for actors of color back in those days.And she was extremely beautiful,elegant,classy and talented

TVSURFER
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM
It is really heartfelt that some members are into their Black History, which is being lost because some school districts won’t or refuse to teach it, as if it’s not part of American history. It’s really sad that a lot of young black people do not know Frederick Douglas, James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison, Lorraine Hansberry, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Paul Robeson, Marcus Garvey, Malcolm Little, W.E.B. Dubois, Sidney Poitier, Dorothy Dandridge, Butterfly McQueen, Satchel Paige, Jack Roosevelt Robinson, Colin Powell, just to name a few; many more will exhaust the page.
“If ever America undergoes great revolutions, they will be brought about by the presence of the black race on the soil of the United States…that is to say, they will owe their origin, not to equality, but to the inequality, of conditions.”
ALEXIS DE TOCQUEVILLE,
Democracy in America (1840)

peggygee
05-11-2010, 08:35 PM
It is really heartfelt that some members are into their Black History, which is being lost because some school districts won’t or refuse to teach it, as if it’s not part of American history. It’s really sad that a lot of young black people do not know Frederick Douglas, James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison, Lorraine Hansberry, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Paul Robeson, Marcus Garvey, Malcolm Little, W.E.B. Dubois, Sidney Poitier, Dorothy Dandridge, Butterfly McQueen, Satchel Paige, Jack Roosevelt Robinson, Colin Powell, just to name a few; many more will exhaust the page.
“If ever America undergoes great revolutions, they will be brought about by the presence of the black race on the soil of the United States…that is to say, they will owe their origin, not to equality, but to the inequality, of conditions.”
ALEXIS DE TOCQUEVILLE,
Democracy in America (1840)

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/mysheros55-1.gif

ROC
05-11-2010, 10:31 PM
i've seen many o' sanford & son eps but never knew ms. Horne guest appeared! Classic! Thanks for clip, roc!

welcome..........