PDA

View Full Version : Happy Juneteenth!

TVSURFER
06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Happy Juneteenth (belated), to everybody who knows what it means!
:cool:

peggygee
06-20-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gezgL5G_NE

peggygee
06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsyUVORFQ8

Ms Remy M
06-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Absolutely Happy Belated Juneteenth! That's quality ^

TVSURFER
06-21-2010, 02:23 AM
This peculiar institution which lasted roughly 246 years (1519 to 1865), should not be lost with any American! However, one has to consider it took another 100 years for Americans of African descent to gain full fledged rights in the "land of equality"! Thank you Peggygee and Remy!

twowaybro
06-21-2010, 03:42 AM
We have a 3-day Juneteenth celebration and festival every year down here in my neck of the woods. It's mos def a Sankofa thing.

peggygee
06-21-2010, 05:37 AM
This peculiar institution which lasted roughly 246 years (1519 to 1865), should not be lost with any American! However, one has to consider it took another 100 years for Americans of African descent to gain full fledged rights in the "land of equality"! Thank you Peggygee and Remy!

As former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said:

"Black Americans were a founding population," she said. "Africans and Europeans came here and founded this country together -- Europeans by choice and Africans in chains. That's not a very pretty reality of our founding."

"As a result, descendants of slaves did not get much of a head start, and I think you continue to see some of the effects of that. That particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today".

Ms Remy M
06-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Despite attending 3 different high schools (military brat, not bad student) I only heard about Juneteenth through an inmate at Fort Leavenworth who would cut my hair at the base barbershop who explained what it is about. Knowledge is power regadless of the source!

TVSURFER
06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
As former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said:

"Black Americans were a founding population," she said. "Africans and Europeans came here and founded this country together -- Europeans by choice and Africans in chains. That's not a very pretty reality of our founding."

"As a result, descendants of slaves did not get much of a head start, and I think you continue to see some of the effects of that. That particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today".
Amen!