PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Comcast as your Internet Provider?

GroobySteven
07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
We've had some customers complain of extremely slow downloading from our sites over the past three weeks, usually West coast but also a few from New York. The only thing we can find in common is that they're using Comcast as their internet provider. We'd like to see what Comcast can do about speeding it up and why they're slowing down these sorts of downloads but would like to see if we can narrow it down any further to more specific geographical areas or time.

Can you please download this 30mb file
http://www.grooby.com/promo/shemalecuties2.wmv

Right click and "save as" - let me know the speed it downloads and which city/state you are in please!

Thank you!

bigdicki
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
We've had some customers complain of extremely slow downloading from our sites over the past three weeks, usually West coast but also a few from New York. The only thing we can find in common is that they're using Comcast as their internet provider. We'd like to see what Comcast can do about speeding it up and why they're slowing down these sorts of downloads but would like to see if we can narrow it down any further to more specific geographical areas or time.

Can you please download this 30mb file
http://www.grooby.com/promo/shemalecuties2.wmv

Right click and "save as" - let me know the speed it downloads and which city/state you are in please!

Thank you!

250KB/sec in Chitown.

butch59
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
27.8 sec Maryland

junintoiro
07-14-2010, 03:04 PM
95.5 atl, ga

mrvice
07-14-2010, 03:16 PM
170kb new york

DrDickenstein
07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
On Verizon FiOS here in Fla so don't apply to your test group, but....download started at 275KB/sec and steadily increased to 1.5MB/sec when it finished. Yall don't be jealous, I can d-load an entire weekly update in like 5 mins. Then sit back...and....well, u know.... :D

admin_old
07-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, are you all using Comcast for your ISP ?

If you are on Comcast do you ever experience an extreme slowdown with your downloads from any websites ?

For example, my ISP throttles my connection until midnight every day for about a week if I go above a certain threshold within the previous 7 days, all traffic slows right down, web browsing , torrents, even ftp.

peggygee
07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, are you all using Comcast for your ISP ?

If you are on Comcast do you ever experience an extreme slowdown with your downloads from any websites ?

For example, my ISP throttles my connection until midnight every day for about a week if I go above a certain threshold within the previous 7 days, all traffic slows right down, web browsing , torrents, even ftp.

They definitely throttle their bandwidth.

bigdicki
07-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, are you all using Comcast for your ISP ? yes

If you are on Comcast do you ever experience an extreme slowdown with your downloads from any websites ? yes

I wish I had Fios here. My boy in FL told me he regularly gets 1 - 2 MB per s. speed.

thepiedpiper
07-14-2010, 11:53 PM
from a previous topic i remember looking into another forum members issues and found that there was a linking node that kept failing located in Miami. I think the issues where related to the files in question being stored in Europe and the path the data was taking. I would anticipate that similar files stored in the same location would show a similiar slow down.

What country are the servers in? Perhaps we could find a file mirror or file stored on a server in the same country for comparision.

for example this page has all the vlc file mirrors
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/1.1.0/win32/vlc-1.1.0-win32.exe/download

perhaps we could use this for comparison.

cumshooter69
07-15-2010, 12:01 AM
The average speed was 180kb/sec. Scranton, PA here

serindc
07-15-2010, 03:49 AM
avg 35KB/sec here in Maryland also on Comcast

twowaybro
07-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Comcast subscriber here in west Tennessee. 450kb/sec on the test link above. About 300kb/sec on regular downloads. I tend to usually encounter extremely slow download and streaming speeds(30kb-100kb/sec) on Tuesdays and have tended to attribute this to increased website traffic on this day because of updates. Anyone else notice this?

GroobySteven
07-15-2010, 07:16 AM
from a previous topic i remember looking into another forum members issues and found that there was a linking node that kept failing located in Miami. I think the issues where related to the files in question being stored in Europe and the path the data was taking. I would anticipate that similar files stored in the same location would show a similiar slow down.

What country are the servers in? Perhaps we could find a file mirror or file stored on a server in the same country for comparision.

for example this page has all the vlc file mirrors
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/1.1.0/win32/vlc-1.1.0-win32.exe/download

perhaps we could use this for comparison.

The servers are in Amsterdam.
The problem seems unique to Comcast. Those with downloads of 35-40 kps are really really slow.

admin_old
07-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi, I've got a couple of test links, if you are still having download speed problems and are on Comcast I'd appreciate it if you could take the time to test these two links and let me know how fast they download.

I'm specifically interested in hearing any reports from customers who have had slow download speeds of 100 KB/s or less on the Comcast network.

Here's the links :

This is the Seattle Link
http://speedtest.sea01.softlayer.com...ds/test100.zip

This is the Dallas Link
http://speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com...ds/test100.zip

These locations have good peering arrangements with Comcast and we hope to setup some kind of mirror but first I need to get some feedback from people who are having download speed problems.

Thanks

Neil

07-16-2010, 03:37 AM
On Verizon FiOS here in Fla so don't apply to your test group, but....download started at 275KB/sec and steadily increased to 1.5MB/sec when it finished. Yall don't be jealous, I can d-load an entire weekly update in like 5 mins. Then sit back...and....well, u know.... :D

lol..................