PDA

View Full Version : MY top 5 MC's of all time...

babyjesus
07-14-2010, 02:09 PM
1. Rakim He is so far and above everyone else is it's not even funny..

2. Kool G Rap.. He's got ridiculous hardcore rhymes and made alot of hits..

3. Guru (from Gangstar) Another guy who made rhymes that made you think.
recently died of cancer..R.I.P.

4. Grand Puba (Brand Nubian) If you take away his wack beats and just listen to his rhymes he's damn good..

5. Snoop Dogg got me into west coast rap with 187 " Creep with me as i crawl thru the hood..." That shyt was hott!

Honarable mention...of course.. Tupac

sorry Gucci mane and soulja boy will never make this list.LOL!! :)

TurboMan
07-14-2010, 02:17 PM

4. Grand Puba (Brand Nubian) If you take away his wack beats and just listen to his rhymes he's damn good..

5. Snoop Dogg got me into west coast rap with 187 " Creep with me as i crawl thru the hood..." That shyt was hott!

NEVER make da list..nothing to LOL about cause you are...SOOOO RIGHT.

peggygee
07-14-2010, 10:10 PM

I'll think on more of my faves, but for now Tupac, and Guru would be on the list.

bigdicki
07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
5. Common (potential to be #1 if he keeps getting better) tied with Snoop
4. Jay-Z (say what you want but the Camel puts out some wicked classics from time to time)
3. Scarface (the REAL King of the South)/Eminem (yea, I put a white boy in the mix...)
2. BIG (rest in piece... the real King of Brooklyn)
1. Rakim (every rhyme is a classic)

Guru, Kool G Rap and Nas would be in my top 10 but not the top 5.

thepiedpiper
07-14-2010, 11:42 PM
This is a never ending debate which, I can never decide on there are so many MC's that could be in that top 5 and still to this day I can't decide on who should be in it. I guess for me there would be 2 lists on for Mc's from the golden era then one for the current heavyweights. Anyway in no particular order

1. Biggie - the king of BK
2. Kool G Rap - Ill street blues need I say more
3. Big Daddy Kane - This guy was the shit back in the day
4. Lord Finesse - After I heard him murder Percee P on the freestyle tape from 89 / Rakim - too hard to pick between the two for me
5. Nas - ever since nasty nas

Honourable mentions: Elzhi, J-Live, Talib, Mos Def, Black Thought, Common, Phife Dawg, Big Pun, Erick Sermon, Pharoahe and large professor

peggygee
07-14-2010, 11:52 PM
This is a never ending debate which, I can never decide on there are so many MC's that could be in that top 5 and still to this day I can't decide on who should be in it. I guess for me there would be 2 lists on for Mc's from the golden era then one for the current heavyweights. Anyway in no particular order

4. Lord Finesse - After I heard him murder Percee P on the freestyle tape from 89 / Rakim - too hard to pick between the two for me

Honourable mentions: Elzhi, J-Live, Talib, Mos Def, Black Thought, Common, Phife Dawg, Big Pun, Erick Sermon, Pharoahe and large professor

I'm from the BK, but I'm gonna have to go West Coast over East Coast with
Tupac as the better lyricist, poet, spitter, actor, and all around entertainer.

And since I like my rap to have meaning, and social consciousness I have to
put Chuck D, and Public Enemy in the mix.

In the same regards I have to put the Queen, Latifah on the list.

peggygee
07-15-2010, 12:04 AM

Truth be told I have to go with the originals, Gil Scot Heron, and The Last
Poets, because Ni@@as Are Scared Of Revolution and the Revolution Will
Not Be Telivised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpo11TxSdVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsO4u46wIlk

thepiedpiper
07-15-2010, 12:07 AM

I'll agree with Chuck D I should have give him a shout too. I'm probably gonna cause beef with te comment I'm about to make with the whole forum or least the majority but to be honest I never really felt Tupac that much. I know, I know that is a BOLD statment to make and I will say he made some bangers but when it came to albums I never really listened to album where i could sit there uniterrupted for the whole album with being distracted or at times skipping tracks. I will still put him in an elite group of rappers for pure entertainment value but there are many rappers i consider more skilled than Tupac that other people won't.

Now female MC's that is a good one. There are so many great Female MC's so I'll list my top 5 again in no order except for lyte being top

1. MC Lyte
2. Bahamadia
3. Queen Latifah
4. Ladybug Mecca (Digable Planets)
5. Medusa (Feline Science)

honourable mentions: Jean Grae, Lauryn Hill and Roxanne Shante

peggygee
07-15-2010, 12:34 AM
I'll agree with Chuck D I should have give him a shout too. I'm probably gonna cause beef with te comment I'm about to make with the whole forum or least the majority but to be honest I never really felt Tupac that much. I know, I know that is a BOLD statment to make and I will say he made some bangers but when it came to albums I never really listened to album where i could sit there uniterrupted for the whole album with being distracted or at times skipping tracks. I will still put him in an elite group of rappers for pure entertainment value but there are many rappers i consider more skilled than Tupac that other people won't.

Now female MC's that is a good one. There are so many great Female MC's so I'll list my top 5 again in no order except for lyte being top

1. MC Lyte
2. Bahamadia
3. Queen Latifah

On BET or TvOne, they are going to do a show on all of the female rappers
soon.

But yes Lyte:

http://0.tqn.com/d/rap/1/0/M/3/-/-/Lyte.jpg

Shout out to Salt N Pepa, and don't forget Spinderella.

Love to my girl Eve.

http://frillr.com/files/images/rapper%20Eve.jpg

Don't miss Missy Elliot.

Can't say why I can't chose Foxy Brown or Lil Kim, don't quite be feeling them.

babyjesus
07-15-2010, 12:34 AM
5. Common (potential to be #1 if he keeps getting better) tied with Snoop
4. Jay-Z (say what you want but the Camel puts out some wicked classics from time to time)
3. Scarface (the REAL King of the South)/Eminem (yea, I put a white boy in the mix...)
2. BIG (rest in piece... the real King of Brooklyn)
1. Rakim (every rhyme is a classic)

Guru, Kool G Rap and Nas would be in my top 10 but not the top 5.

damn being from Brooklyn how could i have forgotten biggie...I take grand puba off and Put biggie in his place...
I like scarface but not in my top ten,jaz-Z for what it's worth don't think he is a good mc but his beats are always hot...

babyjesus
07-15-2010, 12:46 AM

Can't disagree on anything you stated...Queen Latifah's first album was off the hook.. produced by the 45 king... Hmmmmn who is the best female rapper? the Queen La? Mc Lyte? or Lauren Hill? I guess that is a topic for another discussion..:)

babyjesus
07-15-2010, 12:53 AM

Damn.. she's looking good!!! Y'all remember back in the the day she looked
very androgynous i didn't care cause she was the best female rapper
at the time my favorite was cha cha cha "kick this one for me and my DJ!"..
:cool:

peggygee
07-15-2010, 01:18 AM

Damn.. she's looking good!!! Y'all remember back in the the day she looked
very androgynous i didn't care cause she was the best female rapper
at the time my favorite was cha cha cha "kick this one for me and my DJ!"..
:cool:

I may let her wife me up, and we can do the
lipstick lesbian thing.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/lipstick-lesbian4x4.jpg

:D

babyjesus
07-15-2010, 01:48 AM
I may let her wife me up, and we can do the
lipstick lesbian thing.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/lipstick-lesbian4x4.jpg

:D

Damn Peggy I just sprayed my shorts LOL!

bigdicki
07-15-2010, 01:58 AM

1. MC Lyte
2. Bahamadia
3. Queen Latifah

Outside of Bahamadia, MC Lyte, Jean Grae and Lauryn's crazy ass, in that order, there are none to consider.

bigdicki
07-15-2010, 02:05 AM
damn being from Brooklyn how could i have forgotten biggie...I take grand puba off and Put biggie in his place...
I like scarface but not in my top ten,jaz-Z for what it's worth don't think he is a good mc but his beats are always hot...

Ironically, I have met all but Biggie and Rakim on my list (and Snoop but that throws off my point :D). I have been asked this question many times and it always amazes me that I put Biggie and Rakim and 2 and 1 respectively. They really are the same rapper but different sides of the coin. Look at the cadence, the rhyme scheme, the fact that BIG was street and Rakim was conscious, etc., etc. Rakim was a street dude who went conscious. BIG was a dude who was raised in a conscious household but went street. It just shows that hip-hop (and jazz IMHO) are the most internally diverse musical genres around.

By the way, and this is a question I ask anyone who doubts why I put Jay on the list, why do you doubt he is a great MC?

bigdicki
07-15-2010, 02:15 AM

You sir are obviously a Hip-Hop Head from way back. You must admit that Mos-Def and BlackThought were/are dope due to their overall appeal (i.e. consciousness and creativity) and not just pure ability to light up a motherfuckin' mike. :D Lord Finesse, Talib and Large Professor... dog I love you for putting them on your list but not Top5... or Top 10. Why? Body of work joe. One who, given the body of work limitation that isn't a factor for you, that you should have included is Big L... he put out some of the hottest shit on tape. Had he had beats and had an asshole not ended his life... DEFINITELY top 10 and maybe top 5.

babyjesus
07-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Ironically, I have met all but Biggie and Rakim on my list (and Snoop but that throws off my point :D). I have been asked this question many times and it always amazes me that I put Biggie and Rakim and 2 and 1 respectively. They really are the same rapper but different sides of the coin. Look at the cadence, the rhyme scheme, the fact that BIG was street and Rakim was conscious, etc., etc. Rakim was a street dude who went conscious. BIG was a dude who was raised in a conscious household but went street. It just shows that hip-hop (and jazz IMHO) are the most internally diverse musical genres around.

By the way, and this is a question I ask anyone who doubts why I put Jay on the list, why do you doubt he is a great MC?

I don't know i thinks it's got to do with his flo... not the type of flo I'm use to
hearing especially when listening to Rakim, Kool G Rap and Biggie... kinda like it took me a long time to get use to the flo of Ghost face Killa, now I like him..

babyjesus
07-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Mc's from the golden era then one for the current heavyweights.

What current heavyweights? There are none (IMHO)
Right now if I were to pic some guys who may be able to hang it's
Eminem and Kanye West and that's stretchin'!....yo know what I'll also
throw in Jay-Z for argument sake..anyone going to the rock tha bellz concert?

twowaybro
07-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Biggie(flow)....KRS-One(battler/conscious)....Rakim(technique)....Slick Rick(storyteller)....DMX(hardness)....Pac(relativi ty)....Jay-Z(commercial success). Overall - BIGGIE

http://ebncana.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/the_notorious_ebncana_2.jpg

kilakali
07-15-2010, 09:21 AM
1. Rakim

2. KRS-ONE (surprised only 2 people mentioned him)

3. Redman (king of metaphors) Check out Headbanger He upstaged everyone on that song.

4. Ice Cube ( best from the west)

5. Big Pun (although his style is a mix of Kool G Rap and Rakim I have to place him 5th because of his lyrics on the mix tapes)

Other notables: Chubb Rock, Busta Rhymes (Leaders of the New and his old solo stuff not to mention his dress styles and innovative hip-hop videos)

I never liked Tupac he was too much of a follower and not a leader. I like Biggie but i felt he never reached his full potential same for big pun. I gave Pun the slight edge due to the fact I like his style of delivery.

Im going to add my top 5 hip hop groups.

1. Run Dmc

2. Public Enemy

3. A Tribe Called Quest

4. Wu Tang Clan

5. EPMD

NWA on the heels of EPMD

bigdicki
07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
1. Rakim

3. Redman (king of metaphors) Check out Headbanger He upstaged everyone on that song.

5. Big Pun (although his style is a mix of Kool G Rap and Rakim I have to place him 5th because of his lyrics on the mix tapes)

Other notables: Chubb Rock, Busta Rhymes (Leaders of the New and his old solo stuff not to mention his dress styles and innovative hip-hop videos)

I never liked Tupac he was too much of a follower and not a leader. I like Biggie but i felt he never reached his full potential same for big pun. I gave Pun the slight edge due to the fact I like his style of delivery.

1. Run Dmc

2. Public Enemy

3. A Tribe Called Quest

4. Wu Tang Clan

5. EPMD

NWA on the heels of EPMD

KRS One is definitely top 10 but did you listen to any of his music after "Edutainment"? He fell off big time. Redman is an interesting pick. He definitely can flow and has a body of work if you include guest appearances and mixtapes. He gets an honorable mention from me. Then, your list, to me goes a little sideways. Ice Cube, after Death Certificate, is about as good as me on the mike... and I ain't good. Big Pun was good, but way too little to judge him by sadly. Then you put Chubb Rock in the mix? CHUBB ROCK??!!! (throws down the mike in silence and walks away...)

bigdicki
07-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't know i thinks it's got to do with his flo... not the type of flo I'm use to
hearing especially when listening to Rakim, Kool G Rap and Biggie... kinda like it took me a long time to get use to the flo of Ghost face Killa, now I like him..

What current heavyweights? There are none (IMHO)
Right now if I were to pic some guys who may be able to hang it's
Eminem and Kanye West and that's stretchin'!....yo know what I'll also
throw in Jay-Z for argument sake..anyone going to the rock tha bellz concert?

The flow... exactly. Jay-Z's flow and his flow diversity is one of his top attributes joe! Most MCs flow one way almost all the time. Remember how excited everyone got when BIG showcased that speed flow on Notorious Thugs? Jay-Z showcases 2 or 3 styles PER ALBUM. Plus his battle skills and metaphor are on point. His two big problems: a little inconsistent and he doesnt have enough subject diversity.

I think you are stretching it with Kanye... he is slightly above average at best. Eminem is not even in the same solar system. I remember being witness to a freestyle battle between him and a popular ghostwriter and underground MC in Chicago that was on the come up back in the day before Em blew up.... Em roasted him. Every time he guest stars on a song... he kills it. Most of his stuff is fire too. Put aside that he's white and a little crazy and you will see dude is one of the greatest joe.

kilakali
07-15-2010, 01:59 PM
KRS One is definitely top 10 but did you listen to any of his music after "Edutainment"? He fell off big time. Redman is an interesting pick. He definitely can flow and has a body of work if you include guest appearances and mixtapes. He gets an honorable mention from me. Then, your list, to me goes a little sideways. Ice Cube, after Death Certificate, is about as good as me on the mike... and I ain't good. Big Pun was good, but way too little to judge him by sadly. Then you put Chubb Rock in the mix? CHUBB ROCK??!!! (throws down the mike in silence and walks away...)
Yes on Krs One I actually stop listening to him after " I Got Next"...I still blast "Step Into a World".

Ice Cube lost steam with "War & Peace", but "Lethal Injection" and " The Predator" were still strong albums in my book.

Chubb Rock is a mention as my tatse leans towards metaphorical MC's. Now im not going by his commercial songs. I dont know if you ever heard him freestyle but Chubbs can rock the mic.

thepiedpiper
07-15-2010, 05:03 PM
You sir are obviously a Hip-Hop Head from way back. You must admit that Mos-Def and BlackThought were/are dope due to their overall appeal (i.e. consciousness and creativity) and not just pure ability to light up a motherfuckin' mike. :D Lord Finesse, Talib and Large Professor... dog I love you for putting them on your list but not Top5... or Top 10. Why? Body of work joe. One who, given the body of work limitation that isn't a factor for you, that you should have included is Big L... he put out some of the hottest shit on tape. Had he had beats and had an asshole not ended his life... DEFINITELY top 10 and maybe top 5.

Lord Finesse for me is there in my top 5/6 but yeah your right I completely forgot about Big L. I will add though for me it was all about his freestyles and to this day his 98 freestlye on stretch armstrong and bobbito's show is the greatest (Off the top of the Dome) freestyle I have ever heard.

I am a old head when it comes to Hip Hop thsts for sure but there was so much blowing up back then that it is so hard to pin down who was and is the best MC. I mean take LL for example his freestyles where the shit back in the day and he could challenge for greatest of all time but his body of work is not up to a standard level of quality. He has made some bad records over the years. Although I havent based my decision on quanity of work I have looked at the overall quality of the work this is why i havent mention Snoop or Tupac as IMO I dont believe all their albums are up to sctrach.

I reply to Babyjesus about modern day heavyweights. You are right, I was toying with writing 'underground heavyweights' but I'm not sure all those that I would list are underground in the strictest sense of the word. I'll put them into a top 5 in no order.

1. Ra The Rugged Man
2. Black Thought
3. J - Live
4. Cassidy (albums = poor, freestyles + mixtapes = the shit)
5. Em (not exactly modern day but he still churns out respectable shit unlike Jay-Z for example who since blueprint 2/black album has released some BS IMO)

Also ill suggest my top groups again in no order

1. A Tribe Called Quest
2. Outkast
3. Slum Village/J88
4. Public Enemy
5. Wu Tang

Speaking of groups (well kind of) what happened to people making posse cuts? There where some real bangers back in the day. This being the first track to comes to mind when i think of posse cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iztp036z54

bigdicki
07-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Yes on Krs One I actually stop listening to him after " I Got Next"...I still blast "Step Into a World".

Ice Cube lost steam with "War & Peace", but "Lethal Injection" and " The Predator" were still strong albums in my book.

Chubb Rock is a mention as my tatse leans towards metaphorical MC's. Now im not going by his commercial songs. I dont know if you ever heard him freestyle but Chubbs can rock the mic.

I've heard the Chubbster (hard to say that without giggling) freestyle. There is actually a fairly "famous" one where freestyled on Hot 97 one night. Still, he ain't Top 20 for goodness sakes.

I'll have to relisten to Predator... I was a HUGE Cube fan back in the day and I have all his albums (well, I tossed War and Peace).

nycguy
07-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Damn! I shoulda came here a few days ago i see. Well...
As you did say MC's of all time! and not sub-catagories like, lyricist, storyteller, Conscious matter, spiritual etc... imma just list the top 5 Masters of Ceremony in hiphop culture

1. LL Cool J - Really no need to explain, Hip Hop supported him for 20yrs nuff said.

2. Jay Z - hit or miss? really??? please listen to the entire albums, not just the radio stuff. and the freestyles are ridiculously, as Cool Moe Dee use to say, on topic. And 11 #1 albums aint luck people, we! buy that.

3. Eminem - one of the best to ever do it

4. Biggie - of course

5. Snoop Dogg - Embodies an entire coast like no other.

Of course there are certain specialists in hip hop that are top 5 in what they do, but overall this is what it is.
gotta mention Kool G Rap - even after he was re-packaged as Nas

babyjesus
07-16-2010, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=kilakali;19489]1. Rakim

1. Run Dmc

2. Public Enemy

3. A Tribe Called Quest

4. Wu Tang Clan

5. EPMD

NWA on the heels of EPMD[/QUOTE

damn see what happens when you don't check in everyday you fall behind.LOL I'll try to reply to everyone..kila I agree after krs one's second album he fell off. I heard he's doing christian rap now or something WTF?
kila you've got good candidates but pun is not even in my top 20.
why do you think tupac was a follower (best rapper turned actor i might add)

babyjesus
07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
The flow... exactly. Jay-Z's flow and his flow diversity is one of his top attributes joe! Most MCs flow one way almost all the time. Remember how excited everyone got when BIG showcased that speed flow on Notorious Thugs? Jay-Z showcases 2 or 3 styles PER ALBUM. Plus his battle skills and metaphor are on point. His two big problems: a little inconsistent and he doesnt have enough subject diversity.

I think you are stretching it with Kanye... he is slightly above average at best. Eminem is not even in the same solar system. I remember being witness to a freestyle battle between him and a popular ghostwriter and underground MC in Chicago that was on the come up back in the day before Em blew up.... Em roasted him. Every time he guest stars on a song... he kills it. Most of his stuff is fire too. Put aside that he's white and a little crazy and you will see dude is one of the greatest joe.

....That's what i'm saying you really got to stretch to find anyone who has a taste of old school hip hop!

babyjesus
07-16-2010, 04:40 PM

1. Run Dmc

2. Public Enemy

3. A Tribe Called Quest

4. Wu Tang Clan

5. EPMD

NWA on the heels of EPMD

Hmmmn.. I have to go with you on your 1 and two just for history reasons...I would then put Eric B and Rakim 3rd...put tribe 4th and then put Gangstar 5th Guru and Dj. Premiere were the ultimate Duo.. each giving a 100% to the group..
then I would put EPMD and WU...

babyjesus
07-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Speaking of groups (well kind of) what happened to people making posse cuts? There where some real bangers back in the day. This being the first track to comes to mind when i think of posse cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iztp036z54

If you listen to the rhymes on this record and the symphony part one you can see why I put Kool G rap as my number 2...

bigdicki
07-17-2010, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE=kilakali;19489]1. Rakim

1. Run Dmc

2. Public Enemy

3. A Tribe Called Quest

4. Wu Tang Clan

5. EPMD

NWA on the heels of EPMD[/QUOTE

damn see what happens when you don't check in everyday you fall behind.LOL I'll try to reply to everyone..kila I agree after krs one's second album he fell off. I heard he's doing christian rap now or something WTF?
kila you've got good candidates but pun is not even in my top 20.
why do you think tupac was a follower (best rapper turned actor i might add)

On the groups, I totally agree except for one glaring omission. I would make Wu-Tang tied with De La Soul. I'd give very honorable mentions to NWA and The Roots and Slum Village.

chromeheart44m
07-17-2010, 08:56 AM
nas
jayz
rakim
g rap
common nuff said

werwt22
07-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Honorable mention: Talib Kweli. I think he's just a little too deep for some people. I had some dude say the only song the liked from him was "the blast" because he said shotgun in it. Sounded so ignorant, but anyways he's my fav and i think he's slept on to an extreme.

babyjesus
07-21-2010, 01:21 AM
what about producers?....

1. Eric B
2. Marley Marl
3. Dj Premiere
4. Doctor Dre
5. The Rizza ( wu-tang ) Check the soundtrack to Ghost Dog...

thepiedpiper
07-23-2010, 12:43 AM
what about producers?....

1. Eric B
2. Marley Marl
3. Dj Premiere
4. Doctor Dre
5. The Rizza ( wu-tang ) Check the soundtrack to Ghost Dog...

I'm disappointed you missed two of the most important producers of all time! see if you can spot these....

1. J Dilla
2. Preemo
3. Pete Rock
4. Madlib
5. Large Professor (the king of the sp1200)

Honourable mention: Rza, Rick Rubin (LL Cool J days), Puff Daddy and the hitmen (1992 - 1999), Clark Kent, Ayatollah, Ali Shaheed Muhammad

TurboMan
07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
1. Rakim

1. Run Dmc

2. Public Enemy

3. A Tribe Called Quest

4. Wu Tang Clan

5. EPMD

NWA on the heels of EPMD

Top 5 you say? Kila my man...what about..and don't forget...X CLAN.

kilakali
07-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Top 5 you say? Kila my man...what about..and don't forget...X CLAN.

I only have a couple of qualms with X-Clan. Their beats were always some recycled beat that was hot around the same time they released theirs. Not to mention the guy always saying "With a Key Sissy"..lol he worked a nerve on me. Now i have to admit I had a thing for the girl Isis in that group. Overall I love the lyrics and what they stood for. i would give them honorable mention.

TurboMan
07-25-2010, 02:10 AM
I only have a couple of qualms with X-Clan. Their beats were always some recycled beat that was hot around the same time they released theirs. Not to mention the guy always saying "With a Key Sissy"..lol he worked a nerve on me. Now i have to admit I had a thing for the girl Isis in that group. Overall I love the lyrics and what they stood for. i would give them honorable mention.

LOL.I feel ya on that Kila..I always wondered what that sissy shiggidy was all about. Man Isis is still out there..she now use the name Lin Que..really her music is tight. no joke that babe is still beautiful too.honorable mention..i will buy that.

kilakali
07-26-2010, 06:14 AM
LOL.I feel ya on that Kila..I always wondered what that sissy shiggidy was all about. Man Isis is still out there..she now use the name Lin Que..really her music is tight. no joke that babe is still beautiful too.honorable mention..i will buy that.

Thanks for the info Tman I found her on youtube she has her own channel. She still looks good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5zkJxD8t0g