PDA

View Full Version : Tgirls of India and Pakistan ~ Hijras

Koanbred
09-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Most of us here in America are only familiar with the transsexual community right here in our own country, the USA. While many of us have transsexuals as friends and associates, the majority of our society shuns transsexuals and ostracizes them from the mainstream. They would also ostracize us in a similar fashion if they were to become aware of our admiration for transsexuals.

This is exactly the same manner in which transsexuals and the transgender community as a whole is treated all over the world. This includes the countries of both India and Pakistan. In these two countries, the transsexuals are known as Hijras (pronounced as hi' dras). Almost nobody is willing to hire them in positions of gainful employment and there is usually a stigma attached to them, so that no profit-concerned business person will hire them for fear of destroying the image of their business. Hijras are therefore, force to live along the margins of society through subsistence work. This includes begging, sex-work, blessing infants and weddings. At these blessings and wedding rituals, the Hijras dance and chant blessings of prosperity for the newly weds or the new mother and child. In return, they are given cash money, food, and clothing for their efforts. The family will always be respected by any Hijra aware of the ritual or ceremony performed.

On the other hand, if the hijras are rebuked or turned away, they curse the newborn and its family members, or the newly weds, who will be faced with certain future destruction from the karmic forces of nature.

Most people of the region believe in the "super" powers of the hijras and they don't hesitate to give liberally to their cause. Once Hijras collect their gifts from these types of rituals, beggings, and sex-work, they return to their House and turn all of their money over to what's known as a guru or "madam" of the House, so to speak. The hijras who collect and turn the money over to the guru are called "Chelas".

In our society (especially within our community), we would call the guru, a pimp, and chelas would all be considered as "prostitutes". Chelas consider themelves as being like sisters of the same House. All the gurus of a specific region are familiar with one another and if need be they pool their resources to survive. However, this is rarely the case, as it is considered as shameful, not to be able to be an independent house. Therefore, almost no guru will ask another for any assistance.

So there you have it! Black Tgirls in India and Pakistan would be called Hijras and they would be treated very much the same, as here in America!:eek:

Please observe the Hijras of India and Pakistan below:

kilakali
09-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Most of us here in America are only familiar with the transsexual community right here in our own country, the USA. While many of us have transsexuals as friends and associates. The majority of our society shuns transsexuals and ostracizes them from the mainstream. They would also ostracize us in a similar fashion if they were to become aware of our admiration for transsexuals.

This is exactly the same manner in which transsexuals and the transgender community as a whole is treated all over the world. This includes the countries of both India and Pakistan. In these two countries, the transsexuals are known as Hijras (pronounced as hi' dras). Almost nobody is willing to hire them in positions of gainful employment and there is usually a stigma attached to them, so that no profit-concerned business person will hire them for fear of destroying the image of their business. Hijras are therefore, force to live along the margins of society through subsistence work. This includes begging, sex-work, blessing infants and weddings. At these blessings and wedding rituals, the Hijras dance and chant blessings of prosperity for the newly weds or the new mother and child. In return, they are given cash money, food, and clothing for their efforts. The family will always be respected by any Hijra aware of the ritual or ceremony performed.

On the other hand, if the hijras are rebuked or turned away, they curse the newborn and its family members, or the newly weds, who will be faced with certain future destruction from the karmic forces of nature.

Most people of the region believe in the "super" powers of the hijras and they don't hesitate to give liberally to their cause. Once Hijras collect their gifts from these types of rituals, beggings, and sex-work, they return to their House and turn all of their money to what's known as a guru or "madam" of the House, so to speak. The hijras who collect and turn the money over to the guru are called "Chelas".

In our society (especially within our community), we would call the guru, a pimp, and chelas would all be considered as "prostitutes". Chelas consider themelves as being like sisters of the same House. All the gurus of a specific region are familiar with one another and if need be they pool their resources to survive. However, this is rarely the case, as it is considered as shameful, not to be able to be an independent house. Therefore, almost no guru will ask another for any assistance.

So there you have it! Black Tgirls in India and Pakistan would be called Hijras and they would be treated very much the same!:eek:

Ummm there are black tgirls in India they come from Sri Lanka and some are Sidis from Jambur and Gujarat..

Koanbred
09-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Ummm there are black tgirls in India they come from Sri Lanka and some are Sidis from Jambur and Gujarat..

That's right, most are descedants from the Dravidians of the South!:)

kilakali
09-05-2010, 03:00 AM
That's right, they are all descedants from the Dravidians of the South!:)

The Sidis are from scattered countries from Africa during the slave trade. They are not classified as Dravidians. The ones from Sri Lanka are...;)

Koanbred
09-05-2010, 03:11 AM
The Sidis are from scattered countries from Africa during the slave trade. They are not classified as Dravidians. The ones from Sri Lanka are...;)

Though you are right about them not being descendents of Dravidians (although many have since merged with Dravidians), their presence in India actually predates the Atlantic slave trade. Damn! That's amazing!:)

Ms Remy M
09-05-2010, 03:32 AM
LOL is this a discussion on how society in another country (India) deals with transsexuals, or where the ancestors of transsexuals in India originated?

The latter would require extensive studies on genetics with a large pool of Indian transsexuals to sample from. Well not really, we can simplifiy it and say that ALL human life started in Africa and expanded outward. :p

I've read a couple articles and have seen documentaries regarding Hijras. I've never heard about 'trans' in Sri Lanka though so also interested in any info that can be provided regarding that, though I imagine it'll be bleak.

kilakali
09-05-2010, 03:41 AM
LOL is this a discussion on how society in another country (India) deals with transsexuals, or where the ancestors of transsexuals in India originated?

The latter would require extensive studies on genetics with a large pool of Indian transsexuals to sample from. Well not really, we can simplifiy it and say that ALL human life started in Africa and expanded outward. :p

I've read a couple articles and have seen documentaries regarding Hijras. I've never heard about 'trans' in Sri Lanka though so also interested in any info that can be provided regarding that, though I imagine it'll be bleak.

Shardanand Marg, also called by its old British name G.B. Road is Delhi's most notorious prostitution street. It starts at Ajmeri Gate,
two-three kilometers from Connaught Place, right east of New Delhi Railway Station. Many Sri Lankan TS and Indian TS stroll the area with GG's. I have seen some very nice looking ones when I was there. Not sure if the area is still a stroll spot as this was in the late 90's.

Update: Now that I remember there is a Pakistani TS on the Yum site. I cant think of her name but she is very dark and lives in Canada.

Koanbred
09-05-2010, 03:43 AM

Ok Remy!

Here's a gift, just for you!:)

Laxmi the transgendered Hijras of India:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/documentary_archive/6386171.stm

Hope you enjoy the podcast!

Ms Remy M
09-05-2010, 03:55 AM
Ok Remy!

Here's a gift, just for you!:)

Laxmi the transgendered Hijras of India:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/documentary_archives/638617.stm

ahhh, how did you know I like to read from the BBC :)

Wasn't necessarily looking for more info on trans in India (though appreciated), or where the 'stroll' is there. I've read various articles about trans and their history in a number of countries, but never Sri Lanka, so since it was brought up, I wondered if similar info to the original post was available on trans living in Sri Lanka (specifically), are they called Hijras in Sri Lanka as well? how they are treated, how they cope, differences/similarities to trans in India, etc. Do they cross the 'pond' to India to escape persecution and torment?

kilakali
09-05-2010, 04:08 AM
ahhh, how did you know I like to read from the BBC :)

Wasn't necessarily looking for more info on trans in India (though appreciated), or where the 'stroll' is there. I've read various articles about trans and their history in a number of countries, but never Sri Lanka, so since it was brought up, I wondered if similar info to the original post was available on trans living in Sri Lanka, how they are treated, how they cope, differences/similarities, etc. Do they cross the 'pond' to India to escape persecution and torment?

I mention stroll area as point in reference. That is how i recieve my information when traveling (word on the street). When I went to Colombo in Sri Lanka i was under the impression that the girls were treated the same as in India. Many girls fled to India believing that it would be better for them, however that was not the case.

Palmyra Mawatta and Galle Road, Colombo, Sri Lanka...reference....;)

Ms Remy M
09-05-2010, 04:26 AM
I mention stroll area as point in reference. That is how i recieve my information when traveling (word on the street). When I went to Colombo in Sri Lanka i was under the impression that the girls were treated the same as in India. Many girls fled to India believing that it would be better for them, however that was not the case.

Palmyra Mawatta and Galle Road, Colombo, Sri Lanka...reference....;)

Thanks chief, I can appreciate that, didn't mean it as a slight. It's just that as Koanbred stated, the Hijras are sort of accepted (at least amongst the Hindu population) in a spiritual context. Does that same acceptance translate in Sri Lanka, as far as believing they'll be cursed if they do wrong to a trans and such. If they are treated the same I'd assume so though.

I figured that might be what the situation is like.

kilakali
09-05-2010, 04:43 AM
Thanks chief, I can appreciate that, didn't mean it as a slight. It's just that as Koanbred stated, the Hijras are sort of accepted (at least amongst the Hindu population) in a spiritual context. Does that same acceptance translate in Sri Lanka, as far as believing they'll be cursed if they do wrong to a trans and such. If they are treated the same I'd assume so though.

I figured that might be what the situation is like.

I dont know i was reffering to the stigma and hiring practices. The girls I met were Buddhist. Actually there is a girl that goes to Hamburger Mary's that is from Sri Lanka I will ask her tonight.

Ms Remy M
09-05-2010, 05:18 AM
I dont know i was reffering to the stigma and hiring practices. The girls I met were Buddhist. Actually there is a girl that goes to Hamburger Mary's that is from Sri Lanka I will ask her tonight.

*nods* have fun :)

Koanbred
09-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Hey there Kilakali!

You know, when I originally posted, I mentioned the Black Tgirls of India and Pakistan. My reference to Black Tgirls was stated as sort of tongue in cheek. I really didn't literally mean that these girls are actually Black Tgirls. However, it brought forth a very interesting observation on your part and I appreciate it.

Now whenever I think of the Tgirls of India, I will think of the dark-skinned ones with kinky hair first, because of the Sidis. I will never forget about them as this discourse has caused me to research their controversial appearance in India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan.

Apparently, their arrival predates the Atlantic slave trade. It's speculated that some did arrive there as slaves prior to the Atlantic slave trade. It has also been suggested that some arrived there as mercenaries, and some arrived as merchant marines. It's also suspected that some arrived there due to mishaps at sea and were marooned. However, they got there, their arrival is surrounded by mystery, conjecture, and speculation. There are just too many controversial explanations, for any of them to be accepted with any certainty. Perhaps all explanations are true!

Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment!:)

Koanbred
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
The transgendered of Afghanistan are also treated in a similar fashion as the ones in Pakistan and India. Since the war has been going on, many gay and transgender people have lost their lives due to unnecessary violence.:(

TVSURFER
09-07-2010, 03:49 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...? Will there be a pop quiz tomorrow?
:cool:

anonymoussonny
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
This has alway been an interesting side topic for me. The internet was the best thing back in the early 90's. I was exposed to so much new cultural knowledge. TV be nice...;) this might not be your cup of tea but this has serious ramifications on the evolution of the TG (and their admirers) community in the US.