PDA

View Full Version : Check this out!

TVSURFER
10-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Check this out! Is there any discussion from the forum or just spit in the wind?
http://www.thegrio.com/news/family-embraces-5-year-old-son-who-wants-to-be-a-princess.php
:cool:

Ms Remy M
10-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Good story. Always great hearing families accepting their children, hopefully within another generation or two this sort of thing will be even more common practice with regards to whatever choices the kids make.

twowaybro
10-16-2010, 06:12 AM
This is a deep and complex issue. Very mixed emotions for me on this one. I guess the thing that throws me off is the age of the child in question and his ability to rationalize his actions as well as the consequences. What has he been exposed to? How much sway does one give to the wants and desires of a 5 year old? Does said parents acquiesce to the child's wishes in the areas of diet, hygiene, time management(i.e. playtime/nap time/bedtime) etc.? If given the choice most children this boy's age would wile away the day consumed with play and nourished on junk food. At the same time this child may have a genuine issue of gender identity in which case it must be addressed. Has there been any counseling? This situation begs a lot of questions, counseling(for both child and parent) and soul searching. Whew.

anonymoussonny
10-16-2010, 02:13 PM
This is a deep and complex issue. Very mixed emotions for me on this one. I guess the thing that throws me off is the age of the child in question and his ability to rationalize his actions as well as the consequences. What has he been exposed to? How much sway does one give to the wants and desires of a 5 year old? Does said parents acquiesce to the child's wishes in the areas of diet, hygiene, time management(i.e. playtime/nap time/bedtime) etc.? If given the choice most children this boy's age would wile away the day consumed with play and nourished on junk food. At the same time this child may have a genuine issue of gender identity in which case it must be addressed. Has there been any counseling? This situation begs a lot of questions, counseling(for both child and parent) and soul searching. Whew.

Well stated opinion...:cool:

DYNACORD
10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
I applaud the parents and agree with their decision. This is not going to be an easy life for that family. I wish it would be. God bless them all.

onone
10-17-2010, 06:19 AM
This subject seems inappropriate for this forum. Perhaps the parents should concentrate on improving their 5 year old child's verbal communication skills rather than providing him dresses. There is a video, the child is a very introverted and non expressive 5 year old compared to other 5 year olds who are raised in supposed "enriched" homes with both parents.