PDA

View Full Version : Black Transgender Not Allowed to Claim Self-Defense ...

GroobySteven
04-27-2012, 06:48 PM
www.democracynow.org/2012/4/27/cece_mcdonald_black_transgender_woman_faces (http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/27/cece_mcdonald_black_transgender_woman_faces)

A transgender African-American woman is set to go on trial next week on charges of second-degree murder for an altercation after she was reportedly physically attacked and called racist and homophobic slurs outside a Minneapolis bar last year. Chrishaun "CeCe" McDonald received 11 stitches to her cheek and was reportedly interrogated without counsel and placed in solitary confinement following her arrest. There were reports that the dead victim, Dean Schmitz, had a swastika tattooed on his chest. McDonald’s supporters say the case is symptomatic of the bias against transgender people and African Americans in the criminal justice system. "People were very enraged about what had happened to her and the refusal of Hennepin County to recognize her right to self-defense," says Katie Burgess, executive director of Trans Youth Support Network, who has helped draw attention to the case and notes transgender people of color are twice as likely to experience discrimination as their white peers. We also speak with Rai’vyn Cross, one of McDonald’s best friends.

http://outfrontcolorado.com/ofcblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/schmitz_20110607232456_320_240.jpg
Schmitz’s brother said in a statement that Schmitz is prone to making racist remarks depending “on his mood.”

Unisex
04-28-2012, 08:59 PM
If Gloria Allred is to defend her, she will beat it.

Ms Remy M
04-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Very sad news, hopefully there will be updates on this case as it proceeds. I'm still clueless as to why she can't claim self defense... :confused:

raheme
04-29-2012, 03:34 AM
Very sad news, hopefully there will be updates on this case as it proceeds. I'm still clueless as to why she can't claim self defense... :confused:

More than likely manner of death. Can't claim self defense in some cases, depending on how victim died. I don't know shat about this case though.

t3h EMMA
04-29-2012, 03:51 PM
More than likely manner of death. Can't claim self defense in some cases, depending on how victim died. I don't know shat about this case though.

You mean like if the self-defense turned into overkill? I have heard of that. Otherwise it does seem like a pretty open-and-shut case, at the very least for the racism...

CosmicTraveler
04-29-2012, 04:08 PM
It's hard to tell since they aren't giving out all the details.

raheme
05-03-2012, 11:07 PM
You mean like if the self-defense turned into overkill? I have heard of that. Otherwise it does seem like a pretty open-and-shut case, at the very least for the racism...

Exactly...for instance if she beat him with her hands and he was down and no longer posed a threat yet she kept beating him until he died then they have a case...more so manslaughter than first degree murder (intent). Like I said I don't know shat about this case but in cases like these the d.a. normally tries to get the defendent to plea down to a manslaughter charge...they must feel pretty confident in the facts surrounding this case if they are going with a murder 1 charge

bigdicki
05-19-2012, 07:54 AM
www.democracynow.org/2012/4/27/cece_mcdonald_black_transgender_woman_faces (http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/27/cece_mcdonald_black_transgender_woman_faces)

A transgender African-American woman is set to go on trial next week on charges of second-degree murder for an altercation after she was reportedly physically attacked and called racist and homophobic slurs outside a Minneapolis bar last year. Chrishaun "CeCe" McDonald received 11 stitches to her cheek and was reportedly interrogated without counsel and placed in solitary confinement following her arrest. There were reports that the dead victim, Dean Schmitz, had a swastika tattooed on his chest. McDonald’s supporters say the case is symptomatic of the bias against transgender people and African Americans in the criminal justice system. "People were very enraged about what had happened to her and the refusal of Hennepin County to recognize her right to self-defense," says Katie Burgess, executive director of Trans Youth Support Network, who has helped draw attention to the case and notes transgender people of color are twice as likely to experience discrimination as their white peers. We also speak with Rai’vyn Cross, one of McDonald’s best friends.

http://outfrontcolorado.com/ofcblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/schmitz_20110607232456_320_240.jpg
Schmitz’s brother said in a statement that Schmitz is prone to making racist remarks depending “on his mood.”

I have never understood why people can't just leave other people the fuck alone. And this is why this dude got killed. It's also why Trayvon got killed.... Zimmerman just couldn't leave him alone. Whether it's racism, homophobism, sexism, etc., it just makes you stupid and want to make stupid conclusions and fuck with people unnecessarily. Anyway, I wish her luck and thanks for sending this out Seanchai. Maybe folks can get her some more legal help.