PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court and Gay Marriage

MrF
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Now for a more serious topic

How do you think the Supreme Court rulings will go on Gay Marriage ? For prop 8 and the Defense of Marriage act. Narrow ruling ? Broad ruling in favor of gays ?

I always thought the DOM was laughable because what are they defending ? Gay marriage is no threat to heterosexuals who want to marry, no dilution of rights for them, only an enhancement of rights for gay people. Marriage law is the only remaining form of governmental discrimination.

Ms Remy M
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
It's a blatantly simple civil rights issue, equal rights for all!

MrF
04-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Agreed, but the Supreme Court consists of old folks, and we know what polls show -- there is a huge age gap on this issue. But with 80% of those under 30 favoring marriage equality, it's just a matter of time. I am just curious to see if these "wise" justices will be ahead of their time. For example, Scalia.

Nah.

DYNACORD
04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
LMAO! Scalia is very much against anything GAY. There are numerous statemens he's made that prove that. He has no business on the bench.

Prop will probably be knocked down.

Gay marriage across the country:::not yet. It would be great for everyone but not yet. Hope they prove me wrong.

Keep in mind, the Supreme Court didn't even want this case. They state this is more of a STATE issue.

thepiedpiper
04-10-2013, 01:42 AM
LMAO! Scalia is very much against anything GAY. There are numerous statemens he's made that prove that. He has no business on the bench.

Prop will probably be knocked down.

Gay marriage across the country:::not yet. It would be great for everyone but not yet. Hope they prove me wrong.

Keep in mind, the Supreme Court didn't even want this case. They state this is more of a STATE issue.

As some one who doesn't live in the US how does this ruling play out? Will the vote be for something that exists at a federal level or will individual states rule on Gay marriage? From poll info I have seen that it looks a majority vote to legalise Gay marriage but... am I likely to only see this in more Liberal coastal states or will it apply across the board?

MrF
04-11-2013, 12:58 PM
As some one who doesn't live in the US how does this ruling play out? Will the vote be for something that exists at a federal level or will individual states rule on Gay marriage? From poll info I have seen that it looks a majority vote to legalise Gay marriage but... am I likely to only see this in more Liberal coastal states or will it apply across the board?

Maybe you already know -- If the Supreme Court rulings on these 2 cases are favorable towards gay marriage, then it becomes legal nationwide, and individual states can no longer discriminate. The S. Court is a very big deal because their decisions are part of our laws and in fact trump existing law. Conservatives argue that laws should not be made by a court, rather by the democratic process. But sometimes a few wise men and women must overrule the dumb masses, and lead them. There have been some famous case like Brown vs Board of Education (look it up), and the gay marriage issue has the potential to be huge. Let's see if they have the courage.

A little U.S. Civics for you ...

DYNACORD
04-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Since Prop 8 is only about California, it will only have an emediate effect on their state. The other issue is country wide.

MrF
04-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Since Prop 8 is only about California, it will only have an emediate effect on their state. The other issue is country wide.

You are right about the immediate effect, but a "broad" ruling could overturn every state Constitutional provision and law banning gay marriage. This would have an effect on all 50 states. Federal cases could be brought which cite such a broad ruling. Of course, the outcome of each case depends on a judge who accepts the argument that the case law is applicable.

On then other hand, the Supreme Court could dismiss the case, leaving the issue up to states to decide.

That's my understanding anyway. I'm not a law expert ...