PDA

View Full Version : Brit Flicks

Ms Remy M
03-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I love British Cinema and I recently watched two movies that I had previously never heard about that were released in 08 I believe.

1: Filth and Wisdom - Directed and Produced by Madonna, but don't let that deter you as she's not in the movie and it's quite a decent film.

2: Incendiary - Great story centered around a fictional terriost attack at a football stadium.

rouge
03-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I love British Cinema and I recently watched two movies that I had previously never heard about that were released in 08 I believe.

1: Filth and Wisdom - Directed and Produced by Madonna, but don't let that deter you as she's not in the movie and it's quite a decent film.

2: Incendiary - Great story centered around a fictional terriost attack at a football stadium.

Have you seen 'Lock stock and 2 smokin barrels' or 'Snatch' both made by Guy Richie will give you a real flavour of Brit cinema and gangland life in London !! We also have an english actor here called Ray Winston who in the UK is a living legend and a fantastic Brit actor who really epitomises Brit cinema - titles include , Nil by Mouth, Love Honor and Obey(highly recommended), Sexy Beast(a MUST SEE), his first ever film - SCUM- fantastic film serialising life in a british borstal(jail for kids) in the 1970's. Real gruesome I can tell you !! Also try The Long Good Friday starring Bob Hoskins - even the title tune will enspire you !! I could go on forever....

:D

Ms Remy M
03-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Have you seen 'Lock stock and 2 smokin barrels' or 'Snatch' both made by Guy Richie will give you a real flavour of Brit cinema and gangland life in London !! We also have an english actor here called Ray Winston who in the UK is a living legend and a fantastic Brit actor who really epitomises Brit cinema - titles include , Nil by Mouth, Love Honor and Obey(highly recommended), Sexy Beast(a MUST SEE), his first ever film - SCUM- fantastic film serialising life in a british borstal(jail for kids) in the 1970's. Real gruesome I can tell you !! Also try The Long Good Friday starring Bob Hoskins - even the title tune will enspire you !! I could go on forever....

Yep I have all of Richie movies except that one with Madonna. They are great movies! I am familiar with Ray Wistone but from his U.S. outings in movies like 'The Departed' and latest 'Indiana Jones...' movie. I will look up these films you mentioned thanks a bunch!!

I also really like the actor James Nesbitt, I wish they would bring back Murphy's Law. It was one of the best cop shows I've seen and is number two on my list of favorites next to 'The Shield'. He was great in that mini-series 'Jekyll' too. I'm currently stuck on 'Being Human' (vampire&werewolf show) as my most watched british show (along with 'The IT Crowd), which just ended it's first season. Why are british tv show seasons so short? normally just 6 episodes per season.

Side note, I recently saw that they released a sequel to the very good 'football club' movie Green Street Hooligans, which I'll be watching tonight.

bdser88
03-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I love me engeerlish gangsta films.
'Incendiary' is the one where Arsenal gets bombed?? Too bad it wasn't White Hart Lane. :p
You guys ever hear of 'Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees'? Haven't seen that yet, but it looks good.
Rouge - u english?

rouge
03-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Yes mate - red white and blue my friend !! Long Live Blighty :D

GroobySteven
03-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Just seen "Rocknrolla" which given Richie's last piece of shit (Revolver) I wasn't really hoping much for but it was great. A lot of fun.

Neil Marshall the director of "Doomsday" and "Dog Soldiers" was in the year above me at school in Gateshead http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551076/ I love his stuff. If you have yet to see "Doomsday" check it out.

Remy you must have seen "Sexy Beast" ?

Other great recent Brit flicks include Shane Meadows films "This is England" and "Dead Men's Shoes". "Death at a Funeral" (funny), "Severence" - fucking hilarious horror-flick.

Classics of course:
"The Big Man" (renamed in USA as Crossing the Line) with Liam Neeson, "Get Carter", "Mona Lisa",.

Ms Remy M
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Just seen "Rocknrolla" which given Richie's last piece of shit (Revolver) I wasn't really hoping much for but it was great. A lot of fun.

Neil Marshall the director of "Doomsday" and "Dog Soldiers" was in the year above me at school in Gateshead http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551076/ I love his stuff. If you have yet to see "Doomsday" check it out.

Remy you must have seen "Sexy Beast" ?

Other great recent Brit flicks include Shane Meadows films "This is England" and "Dead Men's Shoes". "Death at a Funeral" (funny), "Severence" - fucking hilarious horror-flick.

Classics of course:
"The Big Man" (renamed in USA as Crossing the Line) with Liam Neeson, "Get Carter", "Mona Lisa",.

Havent seen Sexy Beast. Severence is awesome!! I loved it and have to say We better not ever play 'paintball' on one of our trips lol

Death at a Funeral I just downloaded a couple weeks ago and look forward to watching soon. Great stuff I'll be looking forward to checking out

TVSURFER
03-12-2009, 11:14 PM

I stated on this board before of how much I love British movies. Notice my avatar? "V for Vendetta" in film form, is the closes to resembling contemporary life as it is today!
The Brits don't pull their punches! Although this film may not be British (Scottish?; correct me if I'm wrong), "The Magdaline Sisters" is thought provoking and very frightening! Makes one think about the Catholic Church; priests and nuns.

Sexy Beast and Obey are off the hook!
Ray Winston, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren and Bob Hoskins are my favorite British actors.
Rouge, if you can go on forever, keep 'em coming! You're helping me compile a list of British films. I love "good" movies!
:cool:

GroobySteven
03-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Although this film may not be British (Scottish?; correct me if I'm wrong), "The Magdaline Sisters" is thought provoking and very frightening! Makes one think about the Catholic Church; priests and nuns.

Irish. Different country although the director was Scottish and strangely enough, usually an actor - you might remember him best as the drug dealer guy in Trainspotting.

bdser88
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
'Sexy Beast' is a classic. Remy you need to own it (not just watch it).

director was Scottish and strangely enough, usually an actor - you might remember him best as the drug dealer guy in Trainspotting.
Peter Mullan - a weegie through & through.

thepiedpiper
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Don't forget two recent films

Slumdog Millionaire and In Bruges
both made by British Directors