Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big DICK or BIG dick, you decide !
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by vidman View Post
    Agreed! That's all I was trying to say in my post when I said, "we are obligated......" The only thing I can do is tell someone to be careful. If one of my boys came to me and said that he met such & such last night and they were supposed to hook up tonight, the ONLY thing I will tell him is to protect himself. I would never say that such & such has xyz. Not my place. I would emphasize that he needs to protect himself. That's all I was saying.
    Condoms break with more than insignificant frequency. Given that fact, would you keep this from your friend if he then said, "any reason why you specifically said that to me on this occasion?"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Large Member for 38 Years

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/5
    Given: 2/0
    By the way, it is a felony in Michigan for a knowing HIV individual to engage in a sex act with another individual without disclosing your infection before hand. MCL 333.5210 passed in 1988 and went into effect in 1989. There are other laws associated with this issue.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/1
    Given: 1/1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdicki View Post
    Condoms break with more than insignificant frequency. Given that fact, would you keep this from your friend if he then said, "any reason why you specifically said that to me on this occasion?"
    BD, this is a very touchy topic. I agree with you on some fronts as I agree with Carmen on some fronts as well. If put in that situation, I would let my friend know to be careful, but I wouldn't be specific. I would come out and just say, "dude! She has HIV!!!" I would just emphasize that he needs to protect himself.

As far as the situation about the breaking condoms, I think that's similar to driving a car and risking an accident. Should I tell my friend not to drive because he could possibly die from a car accident? The answer is no. A condom breaking is the same situation. Anytime we have sex, regardless of if it's protected or unprotected, we take chances. That would be quite odd if my friend had a car accident right after I told him not to drive because he might have an accident. If he came back and asked me if there was "any reason why you specifically said that to me on this occasion," I think I would shit my pants because he's probably thinking that I sabotaged his car or something. Purely coincidental lol

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by DYNACORD View Post
    By the way, it is a felony in Michigan for a knowing HIV individual to engage in a sex act with another individual without disclosing your infection before hand. MCL 333.5210 passed in 1988 and went into effect in 1989. There are other laws associated with this issue.

Oh definitely D-cord. I remember a case about 10 years ago of a man that got convicted, in Michigan, of having sex with a female and infecting her while knowing that he was HIV positive and not disclosing. I think it was Michigan. More states are adopting that policy.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by DYNACORD View Post
    Michigan's law is very explicit in making it a crime regardless of intent and I believe regardless of whether there is a condom involved as long as the info isn't disclosed. I agree with this 100%. However, most states require intent to transmit to be proven in order for it to be a crime and in some states the crime is only a misdemeanor.

BD, this is a very touchy topic. I agree with you on some fronts as I agree with Carmen on some fronts as well. If put in that situation, I would let my friend know to be careful, but I wouldn't be specific. I would come out and just say, "dude! She has HIV!!!" I would just emphasize that he needs to protect himself.

As far as the situation about the breaking condoms, I think that's similar to driving a car and risking an accident. Should I tell my friend not to drive because he could possibly die from a car accident? The answer is no. A condom breaking is the same situation. Anytime we have sex, regardless of if it's protected or unprotected, we take chances. That would be quite odd if my friend had a car accident right after I told him not to drive because he might have an accident. If he came back and asked me if there was "any reason why you specifically said that to me on this occasion," I think I would shit my pants because he's probably thinking that I sabotaged his car or something. Purely coincidental lol
    Your analogy isn't quite congruent to this situation. If a person has HIV or AIDS and one has sex with them, even with a condom, the likelihood that person will contract the disease and die earlier than they would otherwise, increases. So, to make your analogy truly analogous, let's say the friend was drunk and was going to drive. I would say and have said, "you should not drive because you are drunk."

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    The key here is 'choice'

The guy should, in theory, have a choice to decide if he wants to have sex with a provider he knows has an std (granted she discloses that info)

However, one would argue that the guy had that choice, and opted not to use it by conducting an illegal act of paying for a prostitute.

A bit of an ethical conundrum

YOLO

Thumbs Up/Down
    Michigan's law is very explicit in making it a crime regardless of intent and I believe regardless of whether there is a condom involved as long as the info isn't disclosed. I agree with this 100%. However, most states require intent to transmit to be proven in order for it to be a crime and in some states the crime is only a misdemeanor.

Your analogy isn't quite congruent to this situation. If a person has HIV or AIDS and one has sex with them, even with a condom, the likelihood that person will contract the disease and die earlier than they would otherwise, increases. So, to make your analogy truly analogous, let's say the friend was drunk and was going to drive. I would say and have said, "you should not drive because you are drunk."
    I think my example is very analagous. I will go out on a limb and say that condoms break just about as often as there is a car accident. Not necessarily tit for tat but you know where I'm going. I think the point I'm trying to make is that life is full of risks and mishaps. We don't stop living in order to avoid those risks and mishaps. What we do is try to be careful. I'm speaking purely of what could be incidental......completely accidental if you will.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I think my example is very analagous. I will go out on a limb and say that condoms break just about as often as there is a car accident. Not necessarily tit for tat but you know where I'm going. I think the point I'm trying to make is that life is full of risks and mishaps. We don't stop living in order to avoid those risks and mishaps. What we do is try to be careful. I'm speaking purely of what could be incidental......completely accidental if you will.
    Then we respectfully agree to disagree. Just fyi, if I know of a broad (or dude) that could be risking your life or Carmencream's life or whoever even though you are only people I talk to on a board... I'm letting you know the info I have.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Then we respectfully agree to disagree. Just fyi, if I know of a broad (or dude) that could be risking your life or Carmencream's life or whoever even though you are only people I talk to on a board... I'm letting you know the info I have.
    LOL! Thanks BD. I appreciate the lookout. One last question, BD. Let's just suppose for the sake of supposing that the person that you warn me or Carmen about is your close close friend. What would you do then? Not trying to get the debate stirred again, just asking. Your answer just might sway the way I feel about this.

Thumbs Up/Down
    LOL! Thanks BD. I appreciate the lookout. One last question, BD. Let's just suppose for the sake of supposing that the person that you warn me or Carmen about is your close close friend. What would you do then? Not trying to get the debate stirred again, just asking. Your answer just might sway the way I feel about this.
    I'd say something like, "Listen, I know you are trying to get with "blah, blah" but I know for a FACT that you should not." If you asked for specifics, I'd say the person has something that you don't want and leave it that. Now, that's if it's a close friend who is in question who asked me to keep his/her "secret".